How To - Adjust The Timing
Topic: Adjust Wetbike Timing
Expertise Required: Minimal
Estimated Time: 1 Hour
Parts Neeed: None
Tools Needed: You will need the following tools:
- Hand-impact for stator screws
- 3lb Hammer
Step-By-Step: Here's how to get it done
The ignition system consists of no moving parts. The ignition timing should hav to be set once and then remain unchanged unless the stator position is moved or an ignition component is changed.
1. Connect a timing light to the engine.
2. Start the engine and run the engine at 1,000 rpm. At this engine speed, timing mark B must align with mark A on the magneto case.
3. If the timing marks align as mentioned, timing is correct. If the marks do not align, loosen the two screws securing the stator plate and rotate stator in the correct direction. If an unstable timing is indicated by the timing light, a faulty PEI unit might be indicated.
4. Tighten the screws and check ignition timing
Timing Advance Position
1000 rpm 8deg BTDC
5000 rpm 25deg BTDC
Be sure to check accuracy of tachometer if unexplained variations in timing are being observed.