How To - Degreeing a Wetbike Engine
Topic: If you are going to check/verify/modify the PORT TIMING, then you must Degree your motor.
Parts Needed: Degree wheel kit. I used this one.
- Install wheel onto crankshaft and tighten nut finger tight
- Figure good location to get pointer installed correctly (fuel pump or coil mount boss)
- Figure out how to mount dial indicator securely
- Get your wheel set so that you can verify TDC (top dead center) and BDC (bottom dead center)
- Rotate engine around so that you can see exhaust port start to open (record degrees of rotation)
- Do the same for the main, aux, and the boost ports. Note that the boost ports open at a different time than the mains and aux (by design)
- Use a caliper to also measure the distance from the top of the deck to the roof of all of the ports (record these)
- Rotate motor to BDC and measure the height again. This will give you the size of the ports (port opening) accurately
- Use these measurements to create a plan-of-action for porting
Copyright 2012 Capt'n Obveeus